Friday, September 7, 2012

a small taste of India


As I am sitting here in my little nook in Nepal I am thinking of how it has been ages since I have updated my blog and how SO MUCH has happened it is unreal.

Over the last few weeks I have taken my first steps in India, fallen in love, and traveled all around the beautiful nation. My life will never be the same after being exposed to some of the most beautiful hearts and faces I have ever known.

The first couple weeks I was with my outreach team from Harvest School 16. We had an amazing team of 9 “laid down lovers” who loved, served, and worshipped just as Jesus did. We spent most of our time in the children’s home, appropriately named House of Love. HOL is home to over 100 children currently. We had the best time living among our new Indian family. We learned to cook for the masses. We watched some incredible Tollywood dance films and danced it up with the kids. We got decked out in Indian attire. We became part of a beautiful Indian family.

From the moment I met the kids I was completely undone. They welcomed us on the bus as we drove from the airport to the home. I was instantly moved to tears at the goodness of God. Three years ago He gave me visions of children in India that I would see and love and serve. For three years I have prayed and asked Him about when I would go and what it would look like. My heart has longed to be in the place He had shown me. And as the kids climbed on the bus I was just undone by their beauty, and by His love and faithfulness. And He is so faithful to make every dream come true. 

We arrived at the house and were showered with flowers. I mean showered. Covered in beautiful leis of fresh flowers, petals falling from all over as the kids were on different levels dropping down the orange and yellow petals on us. It was such a sight to be seen. More tears came as the house full of children welcomed us with such love.

Each day we would worship and pray and serve meals to the children. I have never seen such a hunger for the presence of God in such small children. They would ask for prayer rather than get in line to eat. They would weep in the presence and under the power of the Holy Spirit. They know and live in the Love of the Father and it is such a beautiful sight to behold. 

Each day we would play with the kids, sometimes joining them at school to play outside, other times taking them to the beach, other times just kicking it at the house. We also traveled to a few other homes in the surrounding areas- braving horrible roads and lots of carsickness for short visits into some dangerous unreached areas. The children would sing their beautiful songs of worship for us and we would get to pray for them and serve them dinner. It was such an honor to be in the presence of these little saints.

So much happened that I am not sure how to put it all into words... My most significant relationship is with a four year old girl we affectionately nicknamed “Baby.” She was brought to the home as a baby, rescued from her family where her father had gotten drunk, doused her in fuel and lit her on fire. This precious angel had burns covering one of her arms, her chest and some of her face. I talked with the Dad of the children’s home and heard of how she truly is a miracle to have survived. Her first months in the home she cried nonstop in pain, but they continued to love her, despite others saying she was a lost cause and just to forget about her. They continued to love. And now she is as happy as can be. She is the most beautiful child I have ever met. She is brilliant. She’s an absolute princess. I spent as much time as I could just loving on her and I know that God will be faithful to bring me back to her one day. She has stolen my heart completely. I just love God and his faithfulness, His kindness, His mercy. He is such a good, good Dad and we saw so much of evidence of this in our time.

After our stay in the south I traveled with a few other girls to Mumbai where we got a taste of Indian city life. So different from the rural area we had been in! It was a blast to go exploring and shopping and see more of India. I was also blessed to be reunited with my dear friend Nupur, who flew me with her to Hyderabad for her convocation from Law School. We had the best time exploring the city there. Next was a short trip to Kolkata where we stayed at another children’s home and were again blessed by the love we encountered. We were also able to visit the city and see the home where Mother Teresa lived and founded the Sisters of Charity. Another dream fulfilled. It was unreal to stand in the rooms and halls where this hero of mine loved and served and ministered so faithfully. Her life of laid down love inspires and challenges me to unreal levels. It was the stories of her life devoted to loving Jesus and the poor that really ignited something in me years ago. So to be in the place where she served was such an incredible honor.

God just keeps reminding me that everything is all about love. Simple acts of love. Love doesn’t have to look big and flashy. Love looks like listening. Love looks like holding a sick child. Love looks like waking up at 4am to cook meals. Love looks like looking someone in the eyes as they tell their story. 

Thank you Jesus for your goodness and your faithfulness to me. Thank you for so many dreams fulfilled. Thank you for accomplishing Your plans and purposes through me. I pray I may never get in the way of what You want to do on this earth. 

Thank you all for sharing in the story and the journey. I look forward to the days of being able to talk face to face and share more personal stories. May you each be blessed in the love of the Father, Son and Spirit.

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment